Monday, December 10, 2012

AAAAAAAAAND relax.

Hey all,

As I sit here bundled up in front of a humming space heater with my furry winter jacket on INSIDE, I have come to one conclusion; I much prefer warmer climates. Don't get me wrong, I love the winter, snow, and all the sports that come along with it, but I just don't like feeling as if my bones are going to crack and shatter like an icicle if I fall. Just sayin.

That aside, I shall try to think warm thoughts and use my shivering to advantage of typing. Hopefully the shaking will increase my wpm.


Photobucket

This week, I was reminded of an art that I haven't experienced in over 6 months. One that has a feminine stigma in the health world that I would like to disprove once and for good. I'm speaking of the art of massage.

You see, for some reason, it seems the pop culture is for women to go for 'spa days' and leave their husbands to watch football while they get massages, treatments, and relax. Now I'm not in any way saying that all men should run to their nearest day spa for a time of extreme pampering, (unless that's your thing, of course) I'm just saying that it is so good for mental and physical health to visit a trained masseuse as often as you can allow.

Having a massage isn't 'feminine' at all. It plays a huge part in mental and physical health. Many times, people see massage as a treat - something that they do when they're so stressed out they feel as if a mid life crisis is impending. It should really be treated as more of a maintenance activity, though.

As I mentioned earlier, I had gone over 6 months without a massage. Being so tall and struggling occasionally with posture, I oftentimes get extreme tightness in the middle of my back. Having a regular session with a masseuse incredibly helps. Not only this, but it's extremely stress relieving and relaxing.

Among loosening any problematic knots you may have, massage can flush toxin from your body, encourage blood flow, lessen your dependency on medication, heighten your immune system by stimulating  lymph flow... I could go on and on and on. Needless to say, it is much more than just a 'girlie treatment.' 

Some people have said to me, 'but do I have to get undressed?!' Well, yes. The thing is, there is some above-towel work done, but many of the techniques need to be done directly on the skin. When I first went for a massage, I was incredibly nervous. I wondered should I leave my boxers on? Take them off? Should I bring shorts to wear? Am I going to look like an idiot? What is going to happen? Rest assured, I can assure you any good masseuse just wants you to feel comfortable. If you feel most comfortable wearing a pair of shorts, I'm sure they will comply. Although, things are extremely professional if you're worried about personal privacy. Before every appointment, I have always been asked by the masseuse which areas I was comfortable with them working and how close I was comfortable with them getting to my.. well.. bum. No other way to say it, really. Another point to make, anytime an area is worked on, the rest of the body is completely covered. The weight and heat of the covers helps to further relax you, in my opinion. I'm sure there is a technical reason for the cover, but I just like the security of it all. 

These points being said, I hope you all will at least consider booking an appointment with a local masseuse. If you're unaware of a good one, ask around. Word of mouth is the best advertisement. Myself, I visited the extremely talented Laura England and plan on continuing my visits. (Let me know if you want her Facebook to set up an appointment.) If your nervous, just give it one try. Or book a half-hour appointment instead of a full hour. I guarantee you will feel refreshed and relaxed. Take some time for YOU this season. In the end, it will help you look and feel younger, fresher, and more alive. 

As always, comment or email to manscapemonday@gmail.com with any questions, comments, or ideas for future posts. Go try a massage! 

Keep lookin' good. Stay warm! 






















No comments:

Post a Comment