Monday, October 22, 2012

From Pinterest to Wardrobe, the Best £20 I've Spent in a While

Hey Manscapers,

First off, I would just like to inform you all of the best thing that has happened to me today. Red by Taylor Swift is finally out! I know, some of you nay-sayers may be hatin' on TSwift, but I would just encourage you to sit back, soak in her auto-tuned ballads, and enjoy the finer things in life. I happen to be a huge Swift fan and love her new album; especially the collab with British acoustic superstar Ed Sheeran. It has been playing on loop in my office all day. The simple things in life. You can find it at any Target, Walmart, or Papa John's Pizza (no idea what marketing had going with this one... Maybe when you've stopped to eat your feelings with pizza after your latest breakup you can pick up some tunes to set the mood? I dunno...) if you're in the States. And, of course, it's always available for download on iTunes. DO IT!

Alright, getting on with my crazy tips and news for this week.

I don't know if any of you, or your significant others, are on Pinterest, but I personally love it. It's a great way for me to stay up to date with the latest men's fashion trends, how to's for styling, great recipes, or any other random thing that you didn't realize you wanted to know until you saw it on Pinterest. (Yes, that's right. I reupholstered 8 dining room chairs last week for £10. Thank you Pinterest!)  Well, one trend that has been frequenting my Pinterest feed has been a style that happens to be one of my personal favorites; the casual blazer.

If you happen to be a 'jeans and t-shirt' kind of guy don't let this scare you. I'm not asking you to all of the sudden start donning a suit everyday. All I'm saying is that the ladies love it when their man looks fresh at all times and it doesn't hurt to make an effort once in a while. When paired with a pair of slim fit jeans, dress shoes, and a nice solid colored neutral t-shirt, the blazer can add class to any man's style. It is important, though, to follow certain steps to make sure you find a blazer that is fitted for you.

First, you want to first make sure that the blazer fits you in the shoulders. A baggy blazer can take a look that should be classy and make you look like you're trying to hard. Make sure that the collar sits at the base of your neck and the shoulder seam stops at the end of your REAL shoulder. Next, make sure the upper back fits right. You want the fabric to stay taught but not pull. If any strain on the outward seams is shown while standing with your arms down (it will also create horizontal indents in the fabric) the fit is too narrow. Likewise, if it sags away from your body, it is too wide.

When looking for a blazer, no matter what body type you happen to be, you want to make sure it has shape. A blazer that hangs straight down is not going to be flattering on anyone. Once you have the shoulders and upper back fit, make sure it tapers in around the waist (near your belly button) and then goes back out slightly to sit down past your hips. If you have a bit 'more to love' around the mid section, try to go for a slightly longer cut blazer. It will elongate your torso and make you look naturally thinner.

While I'm on this note, keep something in mind, gentlemen. If you have a bit more weight on you, don't hide behind baggy clothing and don't try to fit into too-tight clothing either. When choosing a blazer it should still tick all of the boxes I've mentioned here. It is especially important for you men to find blazers with a fitted mid section because they will naturally make you look slimmer. Make sure that they fit snug but don't hug. The blazer, when the top button is buttoned, should just rest against your midsection. If it is pushing your stomach in it is too tight and if it doesn't rest against your stomach it is too loose. When in doubt, find a blazer that fits in the shoulders, even if it's too big around the waist, and have it taken in. Spending a little extra on an alteration can do WONDERS for the way blazers fit and make you look. There is nothing like the attractiveness of a well-tailored man. I guarantee any woman would agree with me.

For those of you on the thin side, think likewise. A fitted blazer can actually GIVE you shape and take the focus on your bean-pole appearance. (I'm speaking from first hand experience here.) Look for a blazer with harsher shoulder lines and a slight flare at the base. (And by slight I mean SLIGHT. This is not the 70s after all.) Then, once again, make sure it is fitted through the waist; don't hide under baggy clothes to try to look 'bigger!' By fitting the waist, it will give you the appearance of broad shoulders/chest, and wider hips with a trim waist. Just the look we're going for.

Once you've found the blazer, pair it with some dark fitting jeans, a nice solid colored t-shirt or button up, and don't forget DRESS SHOES. I don't want to see any tennis shoes with this look, guys. I'd invest in a nice pair of brogues if I were you. They're in fashion currently and they're a classic that will stay around.

One other thing: if budget is a hitting block for you, look for ways of being fashionable on a budget. I, personally, love charity (thrift in the US) stores. It can be overwhelming with all the 'tat' but if you can search through all the rubbish to find one treasure it is completely worth it. Take me for example! This weekend I was thrift store shopping at some of my favorite charity shops in Canterbury when I stumbled upon an amazing blazer. The sleeves are a little short (shocker) but a popular look right now is to roll the cuffs and push up the sleeves so away I went! I was able to haggle the man down to £5! (about $8) The best part? I didn't even need to have it tailored. It fits me quite well!


Image_zps896f6956

Even if it would have been a little big, I know of a great alterations place that would have altered it for me for around £20. ($30ish) $38 would still be a huge bargain for a perfectly fitting blazer.

It's all about finding styles you like and improvising to make them happen. If you have the money, by all means shop at stores that fit blazers to you body type perfectly. I must tell you, though, it is NOT a requirement to be minted to look good.

You heard it here first.

Also, look at the AWESOME vintage briefcase I found at a vintage showcase for £15 ($25)!


photo_zps0c357209

I've been looking for a nice looking case to carry my laptop and ipad around that looked wintery and vintage. This bad boy was hiding under a pile of rubbish at a vintage clothing market. NEVER underestimate an opportunity to find re-usable clothing. 

I always tell myself, if I can walk away from the biggest thrift stores with one great item of clothing, it's been a success. There are always treasures among the rubbish. (gettin deep here!)

Alright, GO! Search the thrift stores and dept. stores. Find looks and blazers that fit you and be sure to comment to let me know your stories. Like I said, you don't need to be minted to look good! (When in doubt, find a great tailor near you!)

As always, let me know of any topics you'd like to see on the blog by commenting or emailing at manscapemonday@gmail.com.

Keep lookin' good!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment