Monday, October 8, 2012

Hello, Gorgeous. GOODBYE, Snookie!

As we settle into the cooler months, I know most of us (except those fortunate enough to live in a tropical climate) will find the sunshine brutally snatched from our cold, lifeless fingertips. There will be less time spent playing sand volleyball, longboarding, and laying out in the sun and more time spent indoors curled up in front of the fire with a good cup of coffee/cocoa and the television on. Along with the cold and lack of a close, warm sun, most of us will experience a sudden, abrupt whitening of the skin. Although that is celebrated among many cultures, I for one like to have a nice healthy 'glow' throughout most of the year. That does not mean I'm looking for a 'Snookie Sheen,' I'd just prefer to not look as if I have recently come back from the dead to haunt all the people closest to me.

Keeping that in mind, I've read some HORRIBLE articles recently about the detrimental effects of tanning beds. I must confess the warm, saturating 'hug' of a tanning bed complete with the immediate and wonderful saturation of endorphins to the system (not to mention the golden glow) is incredibly enticing in the dead of winter but the harm VASTLY outweighs the good. I used to be a frequenter of bulb tanning beds throughout the winter months, but I must admit I am a changed man! Not only can tanning beds increase the risk for skin cancer, subjecting yourself to concentrated UV A&B rays found in beds can accelerate the aging and wrinkle forming process in the face, neck, and overall body skin. WHO WANTS THAT?! Not me...

Consider Exhibit A: I found this on the Facebook page of one of my favorite trainers (a certain Joey Gloor) and it has been burned into my retinas ever since. It was complete with this caption:


the story: this is what driving a truck for 28 years, having half of your face exposed to direct sunlight looks like. for those who tan, if not for skin cancer then for grand vanity's sake consider sprays instead, yeah?


Photobucket

Scarred a little bit? Hopefully you'll think next time before you go into a sun bed.

Now, Manscapers, I don't say this to have you all scarred about tanning beds and leave it at that. No, I have a solution.

Throughout my quest as a fashion blogger and someone who likes to look good, I have tried many different 'fake tan' techniques. I've tried everything from creams, lotions, and aerosol sprays to mystic, airbrush, and bed tans. Through all of these, I have never found better coverage and longevity than an air brushed spray tan. Best part about it? They match the color to your skin and it's instantaneous! (Ok, so that was two 'best' things. Deal with it.)

I sat down with two of my good friends from Purity Spa and Salon in Twin Falls, ID to discuss the benefits of an airbrush tan over mystic and bed tans. Let's say I left very enlightened.

Jacy Jackson Licensed Esthetician, and Tanja Valdez Owner and beauty expert gave me the 'skinny' on all things air brush.

At Purity Spa and Salon, they use a brand of airbrush tanning called Suntastic. The benefit of this tan is that it contains no red or orange dies, unlike mystic, so it will not turn your skin that horrible, blotchy orange color that we've all grown to be afraid of with sunless tanning products. (Hello, gorgeous. GOODBYE, Snookie!) It is a sugar-based, completely organic solution that does not contain any harsh chemicals. (This was HUGE for me to discover. I have many friends that are really conscious about what they put on their skin as it is absorbed into the blood stream immediately and would therefore never get a mystic tan. This is safe for everyone!) It is much healthier than UV exposure and will give you an immediate golden glo.

Another benefit of airbrush tan is that it keeps the skin hydrated so it won't get blotchy or crackly as it wears off. We all have seen horror stories of blotchy, faded orange skin as a fake tan wears off. Gross. While mystic just shoots streams of product at you, airbrush is applied by a professional who is able to hand spray the tan to perfection. (Including sculpting, cutting, and increased shadowing on the sides to make you look thinner throughout your mid section! Not even kidding. I was amazed when I first heard this. Jacy was even able to sculpt a little definition into my abs to make them more prominent. HEY-OH!)  Make sure you stay knowledgeable about airbrush tanning and don't be afraid to ask before you tan! Be certain that a licensed esthetician is applying your tan so they know what they're doing.

While you're at it, there is another treatment that I was unaware of that can cause your tan to last even longer! Jacy and Tonja introduced me to Purity's Hydration Station. (Pictured below)



This beauty contains your whole body, leaving just your head exposed for a complete hydration experience. It uses seven LED lights and distilled water steam to clean your pores, prep them for tan, promote healing, reduce acne, and hydrate. What could sound better, right!? I must say, I was a little apprehensive at first but once I walked out of the 20 minute treatment, my body felt completely rejuvenated. It helps to excite the melanocytes (the particles that absorb color in the skin) and prep them to absorb even more color. Fascinating, eh? Not to mention incredibly relaxing.

From there, Jacy was able to airbrush my skin to perfection. I already had quite a tan, so she used a fairly dark solution to give me a noticeable glow and tan.

Before and after pictures. Ready?? GO!



IMG_2221_zpsfa27cc14

I know I look a little angry, but there you go. The shading is slightly different but you can clearly tell that my skin is LOADS darker.

after tan

There you have it. All you've ever needed to know (and hopefully a little more) about tanning. I know I've taken a slightly biased standpoint throwing airbrush tan in your face, but I encourage you to do some investigating for yourself. If you're thinking about a bed, think again! An airbrush tan is instant, effective, and mine lasted for a full two weeks with the Hydration Station treatment. 

HUGE thanks to Jacy Jackson, Tonja Valdez, and all the great staff at Purity Spa and Salon for hooking me up and educating me further. I encourage you all to find a spa in your area that gives great support, great products and a great experience.



Hope you're all keeping warm as the weather fades and as always, keep lookin' good! And maybe do some longboarding while you're at it (weather permitting of course. )
longboard  

No comments:

Post a Comment